AN ANTHOLOGY OF THE DISTINGUISHED ACHIEVEMENTS IN SCIENCE AND TECHNIQUE. PART 47: AIRCRAFT DESIGNER IGOR SIKORSKY AND HIS ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN DESIGN OF AIRPLANES AND HELICOPTERS
Keywords:aviation, prominent Ukrainian and American aircraft designer Igor Sikorsky, basic achievements in construction of airplanes and helicopters, scientifically-historical essay
AbstractPurpose. Preparation of short scientifically-historical essay about one of founders of world aviation, prominent Ukrainian and American aircraft designer I.I. Sikorsky. Methodology. Known scientific methods of collection, analysis and analytical treatment of scientific and technical information, touching becoming and development of world aviation and resulted in scientific monographs, journals and internet-reports. Results. A short scientifically-historical essay about a prominent Ukrainian and American aircraft designer Igor Ivanovich Sikorsky, becoming one of founders of world aviation. Basic scientific and technical achievements of I.I. Sikorsky in an area of design of airplanes and helicopters, emigrating because of overcame civil war from Russia to the USA (1919). It is shown that I.I. Sikorsky is the founder of not only American but also domestic aviation industry. I.I. Sikorsky became the first on our planet incarnating in reality the dream of the genius Italian inventor Leonardo da Vinci on creation of helicopter. He became the «father» of world design of helicopters. By him in Russia and the USA 17 base types of airplanes and 18 base types of helicopters were developed and built, operating on piston and gas-turbine engines. Helicopters development by I.I. Sikorsky firstly the world accomplished flying (with refuelling in mid air) over Atlantic (S-61, 1967) and pacific (S-65, 1970) oceans. It is marked that one of reliability indexes of the designs of aircrafts created by him is that until now the Presidents of the USA fly on helicopters with inscription of «Sikorsky» onboard. Originality. Certain systematization is executed known from scientific publications and other mass of scientific and technical materials media, touching becoming and development of world aviation and contribution to world design of airplanes and helicopters of prominent Ukrainian and American aircraft designer I.I. Sikorsky. Practical value. Scientific popularization and deepening for University students, engineering, technical and scientific workers of scientific and technical knowledge in the field of history of becoming and development of world design of airplanes and helicopters, extending their scientific and technical range of interests and further development of scientific and technical progress in society.
1. Available at: https://www.pravmir.ru/igor-ivanovich-sikorskij-geroj-izgnannik-otec-aviacii (accessed 11 May 2017). (Rus).
2. Available at: https://www.maximonline.ru/longreads/photogallery/_article/chelovek-s-vintom (accessed 9 May 2017). (Rus).
3. Available at: http://kpi.ua/ru/sikorsky (accessed 19 October 2017). (Rus).
4. Available at: http://kpi.ua/ru/node/7895 (accessed 29 July 2017). (Rus).
5. Available at: https://history.vn.ua/book/person/80.html (accessed 29 January 2018). (Rus).
6. Available at: http://www.tvc.ru/news/show/id/69580 (accessed 22 February 2018). (Rus).
7. Available at: http://to-name.ru/biography/igor-sikorskij.htm (accessed 10 March 2018). (Rus).
8. Katyshev G.I., Mikheev М.R. Aviakonstruktor Igor Ivanovich Sikorskiy. 1889-1972 [Aircraft Designer Igor Ivanovich Sikorsky. 1889-1972].Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1989. 176 p. (Rus).
9. Available at: https://fakty.ua/149040-syn-legendarnogo-aviakonstruktora-igorya-sikorskogo (accessed 8 May 2018). (Rus).
10. Available at: http://www.tvc.ru/news/show/id/69580 (accessed 18 April 2018). (Rus).
11. Available at: http://kpi.ua/ru/node/950 (accessed 23 May 2018). (Rus).
12. Available at: https://gordonua.com/news/society/kievskiy-politeh-nicheskiy-institut-poluchil-imya-sikorskogo-147197.html(accessed 10 June 2018). (Rus).
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2019 M. I. Baranov
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
2. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
3. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.