AN ANTHOLOGY OF THE DISTINGUISHED ACHIEVEMENTS IN SCIENCE AND TECHNIQUE. PART 40: THE SCIENTIFIC OPENING OF THE METHOD OF EXPLOSIVE IMPLOSION FOR THE OBTAINING ABOVE CRITICAL MASS OF NUCLEAR CHARGE AND UKRAINIAN «TRACK» IN THE «MANHATTAN» AMERICAN ATOMIC
Keywords:history of creation in the USA and USSR of the first standards of nuclear weapon, atomic bomb, critical mass of nuclear explosive, nuclear explosion, methods of «cannon-shot» and «explosive implosion» for an atomic bomb, chemical explosive matter
Purpose. Preparation of short scientifically-historical essay about the prominent American scientist-chemist and physicist George Bogdan Kistiakowsky, having the Ukrainian «roots» and bringing in a considerable scientific and technical contribution to development and creation of the first atomic bombs in the USA. Methodology. Scientific methods of collection, analysis and analytical treatment of the opened scientific and technical information of world level in area of atomic and nuclear physics, physics of hyperpessure, applied electrophysics, modern experimental physics, atomic science and technology. Results. The state-of-the-art review of the state of basic scientific and technical problems, arising up before scientists and engineers at development and creation within the framework of the «Manhattan» American atomic project of the first standards of atomic bombs of the USA is resulted. Two basic methods of receipt in the a-bomb of above critical mass of the divided nuclear material of military load are described: method of «cannon-shot» and method of «explosive implosion». Basic information is resulted about the declassified scheme and construction decisions, applied scientists and specialists in the first atomic bombs of the USA. Technical information is indicated about basic ordinary hard chemical explosive matters (EM), atomic bombs of the USA of implosend type utillized in the first. Originality. Systematization of the scientific and technical materials devoted the basic results of pioneer nuclear researches in the USA and USSR in the period of 1940-th on a capture above all things for soldiery aims by intranuclear energy and to the offensive on a planet Earth of nuclear era known from the opened sources is executed. The important role of the scientific ukrainian origin of G.B. Kistiakowsky in development and creation in the National nuclear center of the USA − Los-Alamos of laboratory of the first implosend atomic bombs of the USA. The large deposit of the American scientist is marked in area of physical chemistry, of theory and practice chemical EM G.B. Kistiakowsky in a fight for stopping in the world of race of armaments and nuclear disarmament. Practical value. Popularization and deepening for students, engineer and technical specialists and research workers of scientific and technical knowledges in area of nuclear physics, modern experimental physics, atomic science and technology, extending their scientific range of interests and further development of scientific and technical progress in human society.
1. George Bogdan Kistyakovsky and the project «Manhattan». Newspaper «Zerkalo nedeli», 2015, no.28-29. (Rus).
2. Available at: http://gazeta.zn.ua/personalities/dzhordzh-bogdan-kistyakovskiy-i-proekt-manhetten (accessed 10 April 2014). (Rus).
3. Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Kistiakowsky (accessed 10 May 2012).
4. Available at: http://www.pseudology.org/science/KistyakovskyGB.htm (accessed 23 March 2013). (Rus).
5. Baranov M.I. Antologiia vydaiushchikhsia dostizhenii v nauke i tekhnike: Monografiia v 2-kh tomakh. Tom 1. [An anthology of outstanding achievements in science and technology: Monographs in 2 vols. Vol.1]. Kharkov, NTMT Publ., 2011. 311 p. (Rus).
6. Available at: http://ruatom.ru/milit/fm_at_tinian.jpg (accessed 03 October 2013). (Rus).
7. Available at: www.infozoom.ru/pervaya-atomnaya-bomba.html (accessed 11 May 2013). (Rus).
8. Ruze M. Robert Oppengeymer i atomnaya bomba [Robert Oppenheimer and the atomic bomb]. Moscow, Atomizdat Publ., 1965, 150 p. (Rus).
9. Available at: http://fraza.ua/analitics/26.09.15/230879/manhettenskij_proekt_ukrainskij_sled_chast_1_.html (accessed 12 June 2013). (Rus).
10. Kuz'michev V.E. Zakony i formuly fiziki [Laws and formulas of physics]. Kiev, Naukova Dumka Publ., 1989. 864 p. (Rus).
11. Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapon (accessed 13 October 2010).
12. Khramov Yu.A. Istoriia fiziki [History of Physics]. Kiev, Feniks Publ., 2006. 1176 p. (Rus).
13. Bol'shoj illjustrirovannyj slovar' inostrannyh slov [Large illustrated dictionary of foreign words]. Moscow, Russkie slovari Publ., 2004. 957 p. (Rus).
14. Available at: http://www.2000.ua/v-nomere/aspekty/persona_aspekty/smog-vzorvat-atomnuju-bombu.htm (accessed 31 May 2013). (Rus).
15. Baranov M.I. Izbrannye voprosy elektrofiziki: Monografija v 2-h tomah. Tom 2, Kn. 1: Teorija elektrofizicheskih effektov i zadach [Selected topics of Electrophysics: Monograph in 2 vols. Vol. 2, book. 1: Theory of electrophysics effects and tasks]. Kharkov, NTU «KhPI» Publ., 2009. 384 p. (Rus).
16. Available at: www.dominating.ru/atombomb/teory/history.htm (accessed 23 October 2014). (Rus).
17. Jung R. Yarche tysyachi zvezd [Brighter thousands stars]. Moscow, Gosatomizdat Publ., 1961. 224 p. (Rus).
18. Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki (accessed 14 June 2009).
19. Khariton Ju.B., Smirnov Ju.N. Mify i real'nost' sovetskogo atomnogo proekta [Myths and reality of the soviet atomic project]. Arzamas-16, USRIEP Publ., 1994. 72 p. (Rus).
20. Mikhailov V.N. Sozdanye pervoy sovetskoy yadernoy bomby [Creation of the first soviet nuclear bomb]. Moscow, Energoatomisdat Publ., 1995. 448 p. (Rus).
21. The USSR Atomic Project. Documents and materials: In 3 Vol. Ed. L.D. Ryabev. Vol. 1, 1938-1945: in 2 parts. Part 1. Min. of the RF for Atomic Energy; Ans. comp. L.I. Kudinova. Moscow, Science Publ., Fizmatlit Publ., 1998, 432 p.; Part 2: Moscow, Publishing House of MPhTI, 2002, 800 p.; Vol. 2 in 7 Books. Atomic bomb. 1945-1954: Book 1, 1999, 719 p.; Book 2, 2000, 640 p.; Book 3, 2003, 896 p.; Book 4, 2003, 816 p.; Book 5, 2005, 976 p.; Book 6, 2006, 896 p.; Book 7, 2007, 696 p. Russian Federal Atomic Energy Agency; Ans. comp. G.A. Goncharov. Sarov, RFNC-USRIEP, Moscow, Fizmatlit Publ. (Rus).
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2017 M. I. Baranov
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
2. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
3. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.